I am always on the lookout for shiny new (or new-to-me) things so when I was given the opportunity to try out Energy Bits I jumped at the chance. The company was kind enough to send me a small tin of bits to test out. I’ve been working out after work more lately (now that I have the time) and have struggled with post-work energy levels which has lead to ho-hum post-work workouts.
Enter bits! Energybits are made of spirulina – that’s it! Spirulina is an algae-based superfood that has even been endorsed by NASA! NASA found that 1kg of spirulina has the same nutrients as 1,000kg of ‘assorted veg’! They are also 100% pure, organically grown and certified NON GMO which is hard to find on the veggie front these days!
I love that these little guys have no caffeine (I get enough from coffee), sugar, chemicals, gluten or soy. Now my diet is nowhere near perfect and there are many things I would love to cut out (in theory) but adding a natural source of nutrition and energy in the form of little green bits makes me feel a little better about myself!
Since I am not used to chowing down on algae, it was nice to see that the company offer a few tips to make the transition smooth
- Algae is an acquired taste…they recommend against chewing your bits right off the bat. Swallow them like a pill because they taste very green.
- For those braver than I, go for the chew but be warned…your teeth will turn green! Just give them a little swish of water post-chew and you’ll be good to go.
- Bits can be taken anytime of day! Hooray, one less thing to schedule!
- Try jump starting your day with a big old handful of bits. They can help ease hunger and ward off fatigue for hours.
- Bits before bed could help you sleep better! I haven’t tried this one yet but I’ll give it a shot.
- Get creative by adding bits to yogurt, smoothies (hmmm…) salads (green on green!) or mix them in with berries and nuts.
I enjoyed my bits a few different times including before an evening R.I.P.P.E.D. class, before an evening run and on the train ride home when I felt some afternoon fatigue coming on. The result – excellence! I killed it in R.I.P.P.E.D., had a strong run and perked up on the train. I even got honked at twice by college-age-looking bros on my run! Now I am not going to contribute getting hit on by guys that are 10 years younger than I am to the Energybits but I probably wouldn’t have rocked my run without them that night! Energybits = getting hit on!!
All and I love my bits and will definitely buy more on my own in the future! And now for the fun part…A GIVEAWAY!! I wanted to share the love and giveaway a single serving of bits that the company sent along!
To enter: Leave a comment below about how you energize for a workout. I will randomly pick a winner over the weekend!